Tuesday, May 4, 2010

LiL Catch up

This is the first time since I have been in Bolivia that the wifi connection has worked so I was able to upload a bunch more pics...

After Cusco we went to Puno but decided to skip the floating islands. We just didn't really like Puno much and heard that the floating islands were nothing special. We just stayed there for the night and then took a bus to Copacabana to see Lake Titicaca from the Bolivian side.



After taking a bus to Isla del Sol we walked around for only a little while. We thought that the boat ride to island was only going to be about a half hour so we booked a hostel in Copacabana rather than staying on the island. The boat ride ended up to be about an hour and half so it only gave us about an hour to see the island. I don't think we really missed too much though.



When we were leaving the island we ran into something (a rock or part of the dock or something...). Dave was sitting on a bench right over where the boat hit. Was pretty funny actually.



The solution to the problem was simple. Everyone move to the back of the boat. lol.

After Lake Titicaca we took a bus to La Paz. The bus ride on the way there was pretty crazy. When we got right outside La Paz for some reason the highway was completely covered in rocks/boulders (for miles) and there were tons of people on it. I don't know if it was a protest or what but it caused us to have to drive around really rough side streets for what seemed like hours before we could get into La Paz.



This kid seems pretty happy about the situation:



And just a lady taking her pig for a walk on one of the side streets we were driving on.



After we got to La Paz we found a company to take us rock climbing. We could have just went on our own but we didn't have all the stuff we needed. I didn't have anything because this was my first time climbing. It was fun but it seems like a sport that gets more and more fun the more you do it. When you first start you get tired and sore really fast... I hope I can start climbing more because I could see how it could be quite fun and addicting.





Yesterday we rode bikes down the "Death Road" or "World's Most Dangerous Road"...



There was some really amazing scenery and although I thought it was going to be a lot more scary to ride down it was still a lot of fun to ride really fast on the dirt roads. There were some really sketchy turns and I came close to falling a few times but never came very close to falling off the edge.





I am the 4th from the left... it was hard to tell who was who with all the gear on...



Felt like Evil Knievel or something with all the gear on (and no i'm not winking at the camera, the sun was in my eyes)...



Oh yeah, and the ride home was really long but the mountains looked absolutely amazing.



Next stop is Salar de Uyuni to see the worlds largest salt flats. After that we are headed to Sucre, Bolivia where I am planning on staying for awhile and studying spanish.

2 comments:

  1. Kadin! I love that you're blogging your way through South America. Keep the pictures comin', brotha-man. They're amazing & I'm emjoying living vicariously through them! Hope to bump into you next time you're stateside - I'd love to hear some stories of your travels!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your pictures are absolutely AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete