Friday, May 21, 2010

Sucre!!

Finally! An update of Sucre!!!!

Most these pictures are really bad... a lot seem like they are overexposed or something. Oh well.

This is where I am living for the time being.





Time is going by really fast and I only have 2 weeks left! Honestly I don't feel like I have learned that much Spanish but I have a feeling I have learned more than I think I have. I can understand a lot when people are speaking slow to me but can barely understand anything when they are talking regular speed. It definitely takes time to develop an ear for a new language...

Anyways, this is the host family I am living with. They are soooo nice and a lot of fun to hang out with. The daughter is obsessed with Michael Jackson and she even did a dance that was perfectly choreographed to one of his songs. The grandmother's name is Martha, the mother is Shirley, and the daughter is Maria... they are all so nice!!





This is my school... i can't remember the name for these types of places but the middle of the school is open to the outside and then all the classes are around the middle "plaza" type area.





Sucre doesn't look like most Bolivian cities... it has a much more European look to it with a lot of colonial type buildings.





There are also a lot of amazing parks all over the place.







We go and play "Wally" at least once a week. It is like volleyball but you can use the walls. In fact, we are going to play again tonight!!



Here is the main market... they sell all kinds of amazing fruits and vegetables as well as meats, cheese, and anything else you can think of.

5 comments:

  1. Wow! This city looks amazing, and the family you are living with looks so nice! Awesome, Kadin! Do you ever wish you could just stay? Where are you headed next?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful city and very colorful market and people! How many people live in the city? The family you live with looks really nice. I bet you know way more spanish than you think! The pictures of the city are great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They really are SO nice and yes I do sometimes wish I could just stay... I do want to see more of South America though too. In two weeks I am actually headed to Mendoza, Argentina and then after hanging out there for a bit I am going to go to Santiago, Chile. Not sure what I am doing after that but i'll just figure it out when the time comes!

    I'm not sure how many people live here... maybe 250k or so? It feels pretty small but I think it is because I mostly just hang out in one area of the city. It really is a beautiful city... the pictures don't quite do it justice!

    As for the Spanish... I feel like I have learned a lot but I still can't understand people most the time. Not sure how I get better at that other than just experience...

    ReplyDelete
  4. How far is Mendoza, Argentina from Sucre? Kendall has some friends that live in Mendoza I think. I can get their address if you want...they are American and have two little kids. So when are you actually leaving? Are you going to get the family a gift before you leave? They seem so nice. I hear Argentina is a really beautiful country. Are you still going to those water falls? Have fun Kadin and learn alot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mendoza is actually really far. Hah. I think it will take 3 or 4 days of solid travel to get there... thats ok though, I actually don't mind taking overnight buses/trains... I pretty much just sleep the whole way anyways.

    Thanks for the offer with Kendall's friends but I don't think I would really meet up with them... I am meeting some people in Mendoza so I probably wouldn't spend time at Kendall's friends house or anything.

    I am going to leave Sucre the 4th or 5th of next month and travel straight to Mendoza. I will probably hang out in Mendoza for about a week or so and then go to Santiago after that.

    I should get the family something before I leave but I really don't know what I would get them. Any ideas? :)

    I am still planning on going to the water falls and I also want to go to Patagonia (even though it is reeeeally cold there right now) and also still want to go to the jungle at some point. I think I am going to move my flight back a couple months.

    Hope you guys are doing good! Love you!

    ReplyDelete